Book Review: A Kiss In Time by Alex Flinn

RELEASE DATE. April 27, 2010
PUBLISHER. HarperTeen
PAGES. 371
FORMAT. Paperback
AGE GROUP. Young Adult
GENRE/S. Contemporary, Fantasy, Romance
FIND IT. Amazon | Goodreads

SYNOPSIS. Talia fell under a spell . . . . Jack broke the curse.

I was told to beware the accursed spindle, but it was so enchanting, so hypnotic . . . .

I was looking for a little adventure the day I ditched my tour group. But finding a comatose town, with a hot-looking chick asleep in it, was so not what I had in mind.

I awakened in the same place but in another time—to a stranger’s soft kiss.

I couldn’t help kissing her. Sometimes you just have to kiss someone. I didn’t know this would happen.

Now I am in dire trouble because my father, the king, says I have brought ruin upon our country. I have no choice but to run away with this commoner

Now I’m stuck with a bratty princess and a trunk full of her jewels . . . . The good news: My parents will freak

Think you have dating issues? Try locking lips with a snoozing stunner who turns out to be 316 years old. Can a kiss transcend all—even time?

THOUGHTS. Since the hype of Beastly, both the book and the movie, which I haven’t yet read and seen, I was never hesitant on picking up Alex Flinn’s works so I gave A Kiss in Time a go.

It sure was a retelling of Sleeping Beauty and it was absolutely adoring and funny. The story was predictable and had a blithe nature. Flinn was creative enough to combine the past with the present.

I loved that Flinn wrote it in alternating standpoints of Jack and Talia. It made the book more fun and I could see the difference of points between the two especially that they were from different time and place. But the difference between them didn’t stop them from developing feelings for each other. At any rate, they didn’t fall for each other the first time they met unlike the Sleeping Beauty I knew.

Of course, Talia and Jack were the characters I much loved. Talia was smart, beautiful, elegant, spoiled, and indeed, funny. And when she met Jack, she used to be wearing elegant gowns and now she had to wear clothes that showed girls’ stomachs. She got to use a phone, ride an airplane, and now had the chance to get to America, which she believed was a faraway land. Jack, on the other hand, was the prince Talia didn’t dream of. He was handsome, cute, but a bit snooty and rebellious. Their romance was really easy to predict yet so relatable--except for the fantasy part of course. At least, they lived a happily ever after.

Admittedly, I love fairy tales since I was a child. Hence, A Kiss in Time was easy to love and easy to read. I enjoyed it so much because it is more than your typical Sleeping Beauty. It was diligently written adding numerous adventures and impish laughs. Flinn played well with the story like it’s her own story. You’ll never be disappointed by this book.


ABOUT THE AUTHOR. Alex Flinn loves fairy tales and is also the author of a modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast titled BEASTLY, now a major motion picture starring Vanessa Hudgens. BEASTLY was named a VOYA Editor’s Choice for 2007, A New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age of 2008, and a 2008 ALA Quick Pick for reluctant Young Adult Readers. her other books include BREATHING UNDERWATER, an ALA Top 10 Best Book for Young Adults, BREAKING POINT, NOTHING TO LOSE, FADE TO BLACK, and DIVA. She lives in Miami with her husband, two kids, a cat, and a dog.

1 comment:

  1. I have seen and read Beastly. Liked both. This sound like a interesting book too :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.